background

Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Review: Alice in Wonderland

I love Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter so for me seeing Alice in Wonderland was inevitable. Depp starred as the Mad Hatter and he was a perfect combination of mad and lovable. He stole almost every scene he was in. Carter's portrayal of the Red Queen did not disappoint, but it would have been fine with me if she said "Off with his head," less than she did. But of course for that I blame the writers.
If you are curious why I mention the veterans first instead of Mia Wasikowska, who played title character Alice, it is because she is most obviously an amateur compared to Depp and Carter. While she did do a good job I wish she had come across as a little more likable.
The only thing that took away from this movie was the casting of the beloved Anne Hathaway. I love her, I do, but not as the White Queen. Every time she came onto the screen I was pulled out of the fantasy world I had built around myself and reminded hey there's Anne. She just didn't do it for me. Maybe a lesser known actress would have been a better way to go or someone that didn't look like she was trying so hard.
The scenes were beautiful, the costumes extravagant and the loaned voice of Alan Rickman was perfect. All and all I felt that I got my money's worth, which keep in mind is a compliment since I paid for a 3-D ticket. B

No comments: