background

Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

10 Most Rewatchable Movies

Recently my friend Doug sent me a link to Paste Magazine's website and on their blog they did a top 10 of the most re-watchable movies. While I agreed with a few of their choices, most were not ones that I watch every time I see them on TV. They decided on movies for the list with a few guidelines; no franchises and no holiday movies. These are movies that are on TV almost every weekend courtesy of TBS, Oxygen, TNT, USA or some other cable channel. Here is a list that I have put together, let me know what you think.


10) A Knight's Tale (2001) - The music that shouldn't work during this time piece somehow does. The band of friends is lovable and Heath Ledger is the main star. This movie is just a fun pick me up with heart. What's not to love?


9) Dave (1993) - Kevin Kline is funny, likable and makes us believe that one right man in the White House can make a difference.


8) A League of Their Own (1992) - I love everything about this story, including the relationship between the two sisters. Tom Hanks is great as always, Madonna finally found a movie that she was decent in and Rosie O'Donnell didn't get on my nerves. There are some very funny moments in this movie, but somehow it always brings a tear. This is a great one hankie film.


7) Braveheart (1995) - For some reason, even though parts of this movie break my heart, I have to watch it when I see it. Determination, love and fighting for what's right make this an incredible film and shows Mel Gibson at his best.


6) The Princess Bride (1987) -One of the most quotable films to date (next to the Godfather movies of course). Fred Savage listens as his grandfather reads him story while he is sick in bed and we all get swept away with him. "As you wish...."


5) Pretty Woman (1990) - The movie that made Julia Roberts a star is timeless. A business arrangement turns into love and watching Vivian navigate the waters of the rich and powerful never gets old.


4) The Goonies (1985) - This movie is what makes being a kid fun. There is an adventure, treasure and time with friends. Every time I see this one on TV, I feel like a kid again. We love you too, One-Eyed Willy.


3) Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) - This movie is a laugh out loud good time. The songs and jokes make this movie fun, and since everyone is familiar with the story of Robin Hood the plot isn't compromised. This is by far my favorite Mel Brooks film.


2) Italian Job (2003) - This movie has all of my favorite elements; betrayal, love and revenge. What makes this movie great is that it's funny and it's PG-13 rating keeps it from being just like every other shoot-em up movie out there. No other film has ever made me want a Mini-Cooper like this one.


1) Shawshank Redemption (1991) - One of the best movies of all time in my humble opinion. If Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins had never made another movie they still would have been A-listers for this film alone. I can't say for sure what it is that draws everyone to this story year after year, maybe it is something different for everyone, but it always makes me set the remote aside.



* A few films that deserve honorable mention are: Ever After, Swordfish, The Replacements, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Three Muskateers


2 comments:

gwish said...

Awesome list. I did have a moment of panic and had to scroll down to make sure Shawshank made it on there. I do have a rewatchable movie I'd like to plug: Castaway. For some reason when that dang movie is on I will watch it everytime.

Danielle said...

I like the addition of Ever After and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I would also add While You Were Sleeping. Always love watching that one!